Illegal Ammunition in Georgia
There are many laws on the books that pertain to guns and ammunition. If you have been charged with illegal ammunition in Georgia, or if you are a gun owner, it is important to understand the laws concerning ammunition use.
Although there are some ammunition-specific laws, ammunition in Georgia is largely unregulated. Firearm sales are subject to federal restrictions, but ammunition sales are not. These federal firearm laws do not apply to ammunition:
- Sales across state lines must be processed by a local seller
- Sellers generally must be licensed as dealers
- People purchasing from licensed dealers must present valid ID and pass a background check
- High volume sales are regulated
- Licensed dealers must retain records of sales
Federal Laws Concerning Ammunition
Although ammunition is largely unregulated, there are some laws that regulate firearms at the federal level that do apply to ammunition. These include:
- Minimum age – The federal minimum age laws that govern firearms also cover the ammunition for those firearms.
- Prohibited purchasers – There are certain federal prohibited purchaser categories regulating firearms. These categories also apply to ammunition.
- Armor-piercing ammunition – Federal laws prohibits the importation, sale, delivery or manufacture of armor-piercing ammunition. Although there are a few exceptions, they are extremely limited.
How We Can Help
If you are facing illegal ammunition charge in Georgia it is important that you are working with an experienced attorney who knows how to handle ammunition cases at both the federal and state level. Contact the experienced team at The Turner Firm to schedule a free review of your case today.