Post-Conviction Relief in Georgia

Post-Conviction Relief in Georgia

Do I have any options after I’ve been convicted of a crime?

There is still hope for your freedom and future if you have been convicted of a crime and incarcerated. If you have been convicted of a crime, even if you are already incarcerated, and want another chance, you should consider an appeal. A conviction can permanently alter your future and remain on your record for the rest of your life.

If you feel that you have been wrongly convicted or did not receive a fair trial, you can file a habeas corpus petition. This petition is often the last chance someone has to have a conviction altered.

How does this process work?

Usually an appeal is brought forth based on new evidence or legal errors. You have up to one year and 90 days after receiving a verdict in your case to file an appeal to your conviction. You can petition the Court of Appeals or the Georgia Supreme Court for a re-trial. If you are not granted a re-trial, you can submit a petition to the county in which you are under sentence or are imprisoned. A judge may allow you a re-trial or to withdraw a guilty plea.

How do I go about getting post-conviction relief in Georgia?

The best thing you can do is to get an attorney who is experienced in the confusing habeas corpus petition process and the Georgia legal system. The Turner Law Firm is well versed in the appeal process in Georgia and has a proven track record in navigating this complex system. Attorney Joey Turner will personally work with you to get you the best possible outcome by taking into account your specific circumstances.

Contact The Turner Firm today to schedule a free and confidential review of your case.

Ask A Question

Submit your question today free of charge and find out more about how we can help with your case.

Our Case Wins

Learn about our past case wins and find out more about how we can help with your case.

Helpful Videos

Find answers to some of the most commonly asked questions in our informational video library.